Monday, February 1, 2010

Last Day Out of the Country for a While..


Dec 23rd

I woke up at 5am in hopes that I could yet again get on an earlier flight. This time I was hoping to be with my Canadian friends so that we could all explore Lima together since we all had a fourteen-hour layover. I took a quick shower and packed my bag, which ended up being more difficult than I had imagined. I was exhausted after only getting an hour a half of sleep. I met the Canadians in the lobby of the hotel at 5:45am and by 6am we jumped in a taxi to the airport. I was able to switch flight, again at no charge! Although I wasn’t flying with the same airline our flights were arriving around the same time so I knew that I could find them. The flight was quick, only an hour. I was so tired that I slept the entire time. When I arrived in Cusco I grabbed my luggage and waited literally only two minutes for my Canadian friends. We all shared a huge storage locker and locked our bags so we could enjoy the day without lugging them around and worrying about them. We took a taxi to the beach area and walked around for two hours. I was surprised by the set up of the land and buildings. The beach seemed very nice (although it was too cold to actually enjoy) but there was a huge highway that ran alongside the beach. Then there were huge cliffs that divided the city. I think that they needed better community planning. We were all getting hungry so we went to a huge lunch buffet called Costa Verde. The place was absolutely stunning. It sat right over the water and was open air with huge glass screens so that the wind couldn’t get in. The food was a mix of all traditional Peruvian dishes and local seafood favorites. I loved everything but the shrimp and mango was my favorite! We even had a few drinks to celebrate having such a great trip. After lunch we walked along the water on the stone beach. We sat down and took in the scenery for about an hour, I even happened to lay down and fall asleep briefly on the rocks (shows how tired I really was!)

We decided that we had seen everything that Lima had to offer and that we should head back to the airport. We hit a lot of traffic and it took us nearly an hour to get to the airport. We got our luggage out of storage and checked in. We did some duty free shopping then had dinner at the airport food court. I settled on McDonalds because they really didn’t have any good options.


 I said by goodbyes to my Canadian friends and went to my gate. The plane was delayed about an hour and of course and I was surrounded by screaming children. I was so exhausted that all that I wanted to do was board the plan and fall fast asleep. At around midnight we finally boarded the plane, I am worried I might be in for a long night.

Bye for now. Almost home!
Love,
Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment