Saturday, November 21, 2009

Itch’in to get to Bangkok

Nov 19th

We woke up at 10am this morning, even though we both could have slept a few more hours but needed to be out of the room by 11am. We packed our bags and checked out of our hotel with only minute to spare. After, we went to the pier and got the information that we needed for our return ferry back to Phuket. We had about 2 hours to kill before we needed to get on the ferry so we grabbed some lunch. Phi Phi Dom has a couple of book stores on the island where you can trade in your old book and use the credit to buy a new one. I had finished my book a few days ago and traded with Jess. She has some serious reading time while I was scuba diving and had finished my book so she traded it in and got a new one for herself. We still had over an hour to kill so we decided to get manicures and pedicures. It feels nice to have some new polish! We got both a manicure and pedicure for $11USD each. It was nice to be out of the hot sun and in the AC. I even fell asleep for a while.

The ferry ride was much smoother than the ride over had been. I used the time to get updated on my blog. We met an Iranian guy on the boat who was traveling with 10 or 12 other friends (all seem to be from middle-eastern descent).  A few of them live with their families in the states, so we had fun talking with them. They were spending the night in Phuket and heading to Bangkok as well so hopefully we will meet up with them before the trip is over. They were staying at Patong Beach and we were staying in Phuket Town which aren’t exactly close, so hopefully once we all get to Bangkok we can meet somewhere.

Jess and I had a voucher that we had previously bought for a shuttle to Phuket town. Once we got off of the ferry there was someone waiting who took us directly to our hotel which was nice. The hotel staff were all very friendly and super helpful! We had originally planned on trying to meet up with our Iranian friends and see an elephant and Lady-Boy show called “Fanta-Sea,” but of course there wasn’t a show on that particular night. The hotel staff found out that there is a similar show in Bangkok and got all of the information and wrote it down for us.

We dropped our bags in the room and decided to check out Phuket town. We were a little disappointed, there wasn’t much to see or do there besides see the old mansions which are scattered throughout to town, but aren’t open to tourists and have “private property” signs everywhere. We hopped in a taxi and decided to go to the mall since that was the only place around with a sushi restaurant. We checked it out, but it was SO SO SO overpriced. We found a Sizzler (an American chain that doesn’t exist in the North East) that have a wonderful looking salad bar. We both have felt veggie deprived so we decided to go salad crazy! We each got two big salads with all sorts of good stuff.

After dinner we walked around the mall for a bit. Like I had mentioned before I had burnt my back while I was in Bali, and now the skin has started to peel which looks awful. I have been on the lookout for a loofa or some kind of body scrubber to try to get the dead skin off for days, and finally found on at a pharmacy at the mall.

We were both tired after a long day of traveling so we went back to the room to shower and get ready for our early morning departure. I had been complaining all day about my back being itchy, but had assumed that it had something to do with the fact that I had dead skin that was flaking off. I was excited to finally use the loofa! When I got undressed and looked in the mirror I was horrified. I have the worst rash that I’ve ever had in my life had spread all over my back. Its so red and raw and SOOOOO itchy. After my shower Jess rubbed me down with hydro-cortisone cream, but not much seems to be helping. I might ended up scratching my skin off before too long.




Well off to bed.

Love,
Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment