Thursday, November 12, 2009

One Little, Two Little, Three Little Monkeys….


Nov 11th

Since today was our last morning in Bali L we decided to relax a bit and have a slow start to the morning. We slept until 9:30am then headed downstairs for the included continental breakfast where we met up with Icha and Meza. After breakfast we headed to Kuta beach for a few hours to enjoy the sun. It was so hot I decided to rent a boogie board and spend most of the time in the water! The waves were pretty big and I managed to loose my sunglasses unfortunately- too bad because I was getting so many compliments about how they matched my outfit. Hahaha- o-well! We stayed on the beach for a couple hours (just enough time for me to turn into a lobster- I didn’t realize how much stronger the sun is being right below the equator) then decided to check out the markets on the walk back to our hotel. I ended up buying a new pair of sunglasses and a gold Gucci watch. Just my luck- the battery doesn’t actually work, I realized just as soon as I got back to the hotel room. I guess I’ll wait till I get home to replace the battery and wear it. I must say though that I have perfected my bargaining skills on this trip. I have managed to talk the venders waaaay down on most of the prices.

After showering and changing we headed to Ubud, where Julia Roberts is filming the movie “Eat, Pray, Love.” Unfortunately there were no Julia spottings. We stopped at a gold and silver store and a Hindu Temple on the way. I found it interesting to learn a little about their culture as well. For example there are 5 times throughout the day when everyone stop to pray. Since our driver was working and couldn’t stop to pray someone at home would pray for themselves then do the same prayers over again for him as well. I found this very interesting.

After the temple we went to the Sacred Monkey Forest Sanctuary in Ubud. There were hundreds of monkeys, it was so cool! We bought a bunch of banana’s and fed the monkeys. They came right up to us and took them out of our hands. Meza was holding a bunch of banana’s and a big monkey came up to her and she got scared and threw the bananas at Icha who was even more frightened and threw all the bananas at the monkey! It was hilarious! Jess bravely tried to get the bananas back (they were just sitting on the ground 2 feet away from us) but the Monkey growled at her. We decided that the $1 we spent for 10 bananas wasn’t worth getting rabies over. The whole situation was pretty funny. We walked a bit further and bought baby grapefruits to feed to the monkeys. Jess was holding the bag and all of a sudden was swarmed by tons of monkeys! They didn’t hurt her, just jumped on her arms and pulled her dress. Jess quickly handed the bag over to the guide and the monkeys left Jess alone. It was quite a site to see, I was very glad that I choose not to hold the bag.

 
 
 
 


Our last stop of the day was at a rice paddy terraces in Ubud. It was interesting to see their agriculture and the way that they have either field set up on a hill so they don’t have to advance to modern technology with a high tech watering system.

 

We spent the rest of the night shopping in Kuta, we got some great DVD’s for less than $1 each! We had dinner at a convayer sushi belt restaurant (yes sushi 2 nights in a row seems to be a trend for us). Jess got to try jelly fish- which she has been looking for the whole trip!



We spent the rest of the evening packing for Kuala Lumpur. Our flight leaves at 6am so we have another early day. I haven’t had internet access now for almost a week, so I will look forward to uploading my blogs and pictures hopefully tomorrow at some point! I really don’t want to leave Bali!- I wish we had a few more days here! The beaches are so nice and clean and the people here are so nice! I love be in the tropical weather and will definitely be back here one day ( I hopefully soon!)

Bye for now,

Love,
Katie.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Katie, Bali sounds wonderful. Glad you got to enjoy some beach time. Did you hear that President Obaba is on an Asian trip, following your footsteps? He must have read your blog and decided to go. Love you. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahah president Obaba? I must have missed when he was elected! I think my poor grammer is rubboing off on you. Hilary Clinton was in Malaysia when we were there- we're so famous!

    ReplyDelete