Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Feeling Hot, Hot, Hot…

Nov 26th

Happy Thanksgiving!
We all slept horrible. The heat was practically unbearable. I woke up at 7am because I was too hot to sleep. Laura was shuffling around the room and getting ready because she was going to meet her husband at the airport. I laid around until 9am when breakfast was served downstairs. As we were all getting our bathing suits on and lathering up on sunscreen when we learned that Edie wasn’t feeling good. She was very nauseous and had to keep running back and forth to the bathroom. I ate breakfast with Stephanie and Isabelle then we decided that we should go to the beach and let Edie have time in the room to sleep.

We spend about 2 hours on the beach but it was so hot it was kind of uncomfortable. We went in the water as best we could, but the waves were huge and the riptide was very strong. There were no swimming signs up all over the beach. Just after noon we decided that we should head back to the room to see if Laura and Richard were back and how Edie was feeling. We stopped and picked up my laundry on the way, it is great to have clean clothes!

We got back to the hostel around 1pm. Edie woke up and was ready to get some food in her stomach. Laura and Richard had checked into their room (with AC and a private bathroom) right down the hall from us. They heard Isabelle in the hallway and came out to talk with us. We were all hungry so we decided to walk around and find some food. We found a restaurant about half a mile down Copacabana beach and had lunch.

Edie and I decided to walk around a bit and get a lay of the land. We went in lots of cute shops. Edie wanted to get a majority of her Christmas shopping done on his trip so I tried to help as best I could. For the first time on this trip I wasn’t dying to buy anything because I don’t want to lug it around and really don’t have a ton of room. After a few hours we headed back to the hostel and showered. We meet back up with Laura, Richard, Stephanie and Isabelle and all went to a Churrascaria. A Churrascaria is a Brazilian steakhouse in which there is a buffet set up with all sorts of bread, salads, and fruits (this one even had sushi as well). The waiters come around with all kind of delicious meats cooked in every way imaginable and cut it right onto your place. It was delicious! I really haven’t had much steak since I have been traveling so it was a pleasant treat.

Edie and I left dinner and hopped a cab for Vivo Rio, the venue where Jason Mraz was performing. We paid $151USD each for our tickets. Edie had hoped to get us general admission on the floor, but since the website was all in Portuguese we ended up in a box in the balcony. The seats were pretty good and gave us a great view of everything below us. Jason Mraz put on a good show. I had hear and knew about half of his songs. I am really glad that I bought a copy of his CD’s when I was in Thailand, I’m excited to listen to him more when I get home. The show started at 9:30pm and had two different acts open for him. Jason got on stage at about 10:30 and played for just under an hour and a half. It was a really good show. Edie was in her glory and loved it as well!

 
 
 




After the show we took a taxi back to the hostel and fell asleep. We were both exhausted.

Bye for now.
Love,
Katie

1 comment:

  1. omg you actually didn't buy anything?! haha
    Also, the concert looked so fun!

    ReplyDelete