Friday, December 4, 2009

It Takes Two to Tango…



Dec 2nd

I decided to set up alarm and get up this morning for breakfast. I got up at 9:30am and headed downstairs for a big continental breakfast, it was so good! I took a quick walk outside and grabbed a bottle of water and enjoyed watching people hurry along the streets to work. I went back to my room and showered and relaxed for a while since I still had 2 hours before we went sightseeing. I enjoyed uploading my blog and skyping with my family.

At noon I met Maria and we spend the day walking around the pedestrian street that we had passed the day before. We had lots of fun going in and out of the different shops. We grabbed a bite to eat at a place called Havana which is a good chocolate shop and specializes in candies. We had a lot of difficulties ordering a sandwich. I wanted a turkey sandwich without egg, they said it was impossible since they were pre-made. Both Maria and I wanted ham and cheese, but they said they only had one left. Maria explained to me how the serve in Argentina isn’t at all like in America. She was really disappointed because this is supposed to be one of the best places around, and they weren’t even good. We both ordered chocolate frappes to drink and were surprised when the frappe tasted like coffee (Maria doesn’t like coffee), we asked the server and said yes that’s how its supposed to be and didn’t do anything about the fact that Maria was unhappy. I enjoyed my food, but I felt bad that Maria was very unhappy with the whole experience.

After lunch we shopped around and found the most beautiful animal fur scarves. I bought two scarves for myself and one fur scarf for Nick. I am excited to give him his first piece of real fur! Whaoo! The scarf I got for Nick is rabbit and fox fur. The first one I bought for me was otter and chinchilla. The last one I bought was fox and chinchilla, I love them all!

 


We went back to the room to get ready for dinner and as we looked out of my balcony we saw a protest that was taking place at the Obelisk right outside. I was surprised to see the busses that carried the people into the city. Maria explained to me that the government pays these poor people to come into the city and protest. The government gives them money, food and alcohol. I was shocked! Maria says that the government wants to fight for the rights of all people and even takes money from the rich and gives it to the poor. This was all very interested to me.



We both took showers and got ready for the night. We met Ruben just after 8pm. We had just under an hour to grab some food. I was really hungry at this point, the timing of meals is much different here than at home. We decided to grab a quick sandwich downstairs to tie us over until after the show when we could go for a real meal.

At 9pm we waited in the lobby for the driver to take us to the Tango show. The driver was a bit late and picked us up at 9:30pm. We drove right to the theater and got to our seats. Many people were eating, we heard the food wasn’t too good so we decided to skip the meal. The ticket did include two complimentary drinks per person. Since I believe you should never let drinks go to waste I ordered Champaign. Half way through the show the waiters brought us empanadas. They were really good! The Tango show was really great and it last almost two hours. There was a live band and live singers to sing all of the songs. We watched several tango numbers then a lady dressed as Eva Peron got on stage and sang “Don’t Cry For Me Argentina,” it was wonderful! The show continued with many native gauchos (which looked much like our native Americans) sang several songs and played traditional instruments. The show ended with a few more Tango numbers. I really enjoyed it! Ruben was great and kept asking for my camera to get pictures. At least five times he walked to the front of the stage and took pictures up close. We also bought a picture with the three of us and two tango dances! Its great!

 
 
 


After the show we went to Los Inmortales which is the most famous pizza place in Buenos Aires. I think it’s the best Hawaiian pizza that I’ve ever had! They caramelized the pineapple, it was great! After dinner we were all full and tired so we headed back to the hotel and went right to bed.

Love,
Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment