Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Rio - Out with A Bang!



Nov 30th

Throughout the week there has been numerous soccer games that have taken place. When a big game is played every TV is turned in throughout the country. When a team scores there are cheers which rumble through the streets and fireworks are set off. Its very funny to me since I’m not a huge soccer fan, but the people here have such a strong passion for it.

We woke up several times this morning to what sounded like fireworks. Edie mentioned that it was odd, and very unlikely that a soccer game could be played first thing Monday morning. We did our usual routine of getting ready then going to the breakfast that is included with the hotel. This morning when we walked into the breakfast room we were shocked to see several people staring out of the window. We looked outside and quickly realized that the hotel was surrounded by military police with guns that were drawn. We went downstairs and asked about it. We found out that the police were raiding the favelas to try to arrest the drug dealers and solve the drug trafficking problem. We also learned that the people in the favelas sounded the firecrackers early this morning to wake everyone up and warn them that he police are coming.

There were probably 20 military police with bullet proof vest sounded by police card and tons of press. When we went outside we decided to talk to the press to get more information. The press explained that an Islamic group lives in this particular favela and the police were trying to get them out because they are trafficking a lot of drugs. We heard gun fire all morning. Edie was much braver than I was and wanted to venture into the favelas and walk around. I was happy to stay close to the hotel and even felt a little unprotected as everyone was wearing bullet proof vests around us. As Edie ventured up the hill a ways towards the favelas I could picture terrorists holding her hostage. The police soon gave Edie a look and let her know not to go any further so she came back. We saw a couple people getting arrested and continued to hear gunshots.

 


We walked to Copacabana and enjoyed our last hours together by putting our feet in the water. We went back to the hotel and packed up. Laura and Stephanie met us at our hotel and we all said our goodbyes. I went back to the room and slowly packed up my things a checked out of the room. I updated my blog, grabbed some lunch and left for the airport at 4pm.

 


Just my luck, when I arrived to the airport I found out the flight was an hour later than I thought. I had a printed ticket which said the flight departed at 7:55pm, but actually it left at 8:55pm for some reason. I couldn’t get wireless internet on my computer at the airport which was too bad, so I updated my blog completely which I really needed to do anyways. I had 5 hours to kill at the airport which was annoying, but at least I was out of the gun filled favelas. I was so early that there wasn’t even a single agent around to let me check in. I found a somewhat comfy chair and typed away for a couple of hours before I got my boarding pass and went through security.

The flight was okay. It was 4 hours long, but I was able to sleep most of it. When I arrived in Buenos Aires I changed over my Brazilian money into Argentinean Pesos and grabbed my bag. I went through customs and was greeted by Ruben and Maria Garcia.

The Garcia family has been close with my family for the past six years. When I was a sophomore in high school my parents and I decided it would be a good idea if we got an exchange student, since I was an only child they thought it would be a good way for me to experience what it would be like having a sibling, and they also thought it might help to improve my Spanish. We lucked out and had a great addition to our family, Sofia Garcia. Sofia and I are the same age and we both got to experience being 16 years old at Souhegan High School together. We had a blast. I finally took her family up on their offer to come and visit and I am so excited to be able to have a big reunion with her and her parents and finally meet her siblings.

Ruben introduced me to Maria and also a couple that they are good friends with.  The couple live in Buenos Aires and were so nice to offer to pick us up and drive us around so that the Garica’s didn’t have to take a taxi or rent a car. They took us on a city tour for over an hour and a half. I got to see many of the big sights like the metropolitian catherdral, planetarium, the horse track, the zoo, the river, The Womans Bridge, several nice parks and a golf course. We even drove by the red light distract and I was surprised the amount of prostitution in this particular section.  There were both women and transvestites barely dressed and standing on the side of the road. We watched as numerous cars drove up and picked up the different girls. Despite this, the city for the most part looks really nice. Everywhere appears to be well light and fairly clean for a large city. Maria warned me that it can be very dangerous here and said that I should make sure not to carry any valuables with me. She told me how she was robbed a few weeks ago and lost her cell phone and money. Even earlier today she saw a women steeling another women’s wallet. I guess I will be extra careful here.

At 1:30am we were dropped off at the hotel which is BEAUTIFUL. We are staying at the Hotel Republica which is located right in the middle of the city. I have my own wonderful room with a private balcony that looks right out the obelisco (the capital federal monument). I am so close I almost feel like I could touch it if I try hard enough. In fact, I had a very hard time getting a picture of it because I am so close and it doesn’t all fit in the camera view. I was exhausted so I uploaded some of my blogs and fell right asleep.

 


Love,
Katie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment