Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Hello, Buenos Aires!


Dec 1st
I woke up this morning after having the best night sleep of my whole trip. Having my own private room was great. From my bed I can see the whole city. I feel like Eva Peron standing on my balcony. I constantly have the urge to belt “Don’t Cry for me Argentina.” I got up at 10:30am because Ruben had said that he breakfast ended at 11am this morning. I threw on some clothes and headed downstairs to get some food. Ruben and Maria don’t eat breakfast. When I got downstairs I quickly realized that everything was closed and that breakfast actually closed at 10am. I had a granola bar in my bag so I wasn’t really worried about it and headed back upstairs. Ruben heard me in the hallway and came out to ask me how breakfast was. I told him about the confusion of the times and he insisted that I come downstairs with him. He spoke to about 4 different people in Spanish as I tried to listen and piece things together. I ended up going to the hotels restaurant and was served OJ, coffee and three croissants. It was really good, so nice of Ruben to go through the extra effort for me.

After breakfast I came back to the room and got dressed for the day. It is the perfect temperature here, not too hot and not too cold. I wore jeans for the first time since Japan! Sofia met us in the hotel around noon. It was great to see her, it has been way too long! We headed to The French Fry Palace, a small Chain in Argentina and one of the Garcia’s favorite places. The French fries are cooked a special way in cold water then boiling hot oil so that they inflate. I’ve never seen French fries look like that  but they were delicious. Ruben, Sofia and I all had the biggest and thickest streak that I’ve ever seen. They were delicious! For dessert we shared dulce de leche flan and strawberries with real whipped cream. We all left so full!

 
 


We walked around several cute streets that were pedestrian walks and closed off to traffic. It was nice to walk off some of what we ate and look in all of the different shops. We went into a mall that was decorated with tons of Christmas decorations and got some great pictures.

 
 



At 3:30pm we headed back to the hotel and met Sofia’s friend Sebastain. Sebstian just got back from the States yesterday and before that he was living in France and taking classes. Before moving to France he used to be a tour guide and did a great job of taking us all around the city and explaining so much to all of us. We went to Caminito which was such a cute town and a lot of fun to walk around. Sebastain told us a lot of interesting things like many of the locals used to take the left over paint from the boats in the harbor. Usually there wasn’t much paint left over so they could only paint a little bit of their houses, that is why many of the houses are multi colored. We visited many of the places that Ruben and his friends had taken me the night before, but it was great to see them in the daylight and get some good pictures.

 
 


At around 8pm we were getting a little hungry so we decided to head to the mall and get a snack to eat. We each got a different piece of cake and shared. I had a brownie with meringue and dulce de leche. I also had a drink called a submarine which consists of hot milk and unsweetened chocolate that you submerge into the hot milk. It was really tasty! 

 


Sebastain dropped us off at the hotel and we said our goodbyes to Sofia because she needed to go back to her apartment and study for an exam that she has at the end of the month. I skyped with my parents and relaxed in the room for a couple of hours. Afterwards Ruben and Maria and I went to the theater district and walked around for a bit. We went to a Beatles café and I had a little pizza that was great. They have a lot of Italian influence in many of the restaurants around here. I really like Buenos Aires!

After we headed back to the hotel room and called it a night. We were all tired from having such a long day of sight seeing! Can’t wait to see more of Buenos Aires tomorrow!

Love,
Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment